Steps to Notarizing Documents
- The Notary will check the principal’s documents for completeness.
- The Notary will check if the signer(s) identification is valid and matches the name on the document
- Look for special instructions to the notary, if there are any.
- Check the document and see if it requires a: Acknowledgement Certificate, Jurat Certificate or Subscribing witness proof of execution.
- The Notary will identify the document signer(s)
- Be aware of anything that may question the competency or willingness of the signer(s)
- Administer the oath or affirmation if required
- Record the notary act in a sequential journal
- Ask the principal document signer(s) to: sign the document and date the document if required
- The Notary will then complete the notary certificate, or the certificate that is attached to the document, place the seal stamp close the notary’s signature and date
- Collect payment for services